Monday, January 10, 2011

Arriving in Ecuador

After a year of anticipation I finally arrived in Ecuador late last night. I met the family I'm living with while I'm here in Ecuador also, and they are very welcoming people I feel comfortable in their house already. It's a really nice place too the view from the top of the house is incredible, I feel like I can see all of Quito(picture). I had a chance to explore around today and found a pretty cool park and a cheap place to get lunch ($2!). The altitude difference is something to get used too, the first night I was here I had to stop and take a deep breath every 30 seconds or so even while I was sleeping, I'm just now getting used to it.(The elevation is 10x here what it is at home.) Quito seems great thus far; the locals are really nice and patient with my Spanish, which I can already tell I'm going to learn a lot, because I am definitely immersed in it. I also visited the school today, and wow what an impressive looking school, the staff there are also extremely welcoming and knew exactly who we were. Tomorrow is the first day I meet my 5th grade class, which I definitely look forward too.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Jake! They are going to LOVE you!! (Just like we do!)

    Can't wait to see more pics. And sometimes, Jake, take a picture of yourself, so we can see that you haven't lost any teeth or anything, okay?

    Much love, cuz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOO excited for you cuz!! Can't wait to hear more! And I agree with Annie...we need to see your face sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete